It is hard to guess which of the passing faces belongs to your future friend or bro, especially if you are new to the dormitories and trying to get accustomed to the mess, the vibes and the noise going on around 2 a.m. Sometimes, you just need to identify these types:
- The party animal. You will probably see them during the day, but it will only be a couple of minutes before you find them passed out in the DJ booth or laughing their head off with blokes from the neighboring room. You will know a party animal even if you are a first-year student, because they are some sort of night lovers that thrive on the moonlit parties and sitting up late. If there is no social activity around, a party animal will always throw a festival or theatrical performance just to keep the audience entertained.
- The friendly one. You and this girl have just met, but she is already asking you about your hometown, your friends, relatives and family. You might be a little embarrassed at first, but don’t worry, that’s the type. The overfriendly individuals are the ones that are interested in the lives of others just as we are interested in our own, but there is a huge difference between curiosity and being graceful with everyone around you. If you feel comfortable with her enthusiasm and endless questions, you might as well try to act cool. In case there is something disturbing about this kind of attention, you can try and distract your new acquaintance with similar requests.
- The drama queen. She could be another Lady Gaga, but she just feels better in the university surroundings. You will recognize a drama queen by the way she makes an entrance and the way she walks. Guys will learn her name by the end of the week, and girls will borrow her outfits regularly, because she is a fashion guru. But beware if you agree to play on her terms – drama queens are usually the leaders of the group and won’t allow others to take their place. If you’ve got a feeling that her emotions are sometimes over the top, wait for the night of the big party – that’s when drama queens shine the brightest!
- The Mom. She is kind of like the overfriendly type, but you accept her help gladly, because she really knows what’s best for you. Whenever you go out, she makes sure everyone is back home and safe and there are no people left behind. She has an old soul and her words might be the pearls of wisdom in the ocean of human philosophy. When you have the Mom types around, you can forget about stress – they know how to handle big companies. Make sure you give her credit for her efforts and bless her heart!
- The Bros. They are always around you when you need a party, and they sport a fashionable outfit of their society every time you bump into them on campus. However, they are a closed off group and don’t often let others sneak in their private surroundings, except for the times they really crave your support. You can also meet the Bros in the cafeteria where they think of another trick to get the party going or discuss the latest news from college.
- The overachievers. The semester hardly began, but they’ve already done the compulsory reading and had their planner highlighted according to the latest fashion. Every time you try to invite them to a party or some kind of college fest, they will make sure they don’t need to do their homework immediately – otherwise, they will stay at home. You will find them in the college library, getting ready for the tests that are due in June and borrowing books that will help them pass with ease. Fortunately, they are great guys most of the time and excellent roommates as well, so you don’t have to worry about keeping your dorm clean and tidy.